- This has been one of the most glorious weeks we have ever had!
Joshua 7 The Sin of Achan
The previous chapter couldnt have ended with more excitement as Jericho falls and God is with Joshua. His fame went throughout all the land [read more...]
Stepping out in our churches
- I am really passionate about moving people from coming to a meeting about the prophetic to being activated and stepping out in their gift.
- The two Jack Deere books are really good
- The world is hungry for an encounter with God
- Story of three young men, unsaved, who came to a meeting where there were lots of manifestations
- I prophesied to them and one of them began to weep and thought I was some kind of a psychic
- I explained you should never be impressed by power, but it was the source for power that you are plugged into that counts
- I was angry that the only source of power he knew of was demonic
- It is so important that we restore NT prophecy, so that when people come into our meetings they know that God is there
- drawing people into an encounter with Jesus
- We need to contend for this in our churches
- I want to encourage you to step out, because there will be mistakes and fear
- But went it brings glory to God it is one of the most satisfying thing ever
- The secret council of the Lord is to those who fear him
- Leadership Matters
- direct correlation between spiritual health of people and spirituality of leader.
- e.g. Matthew: Jesus went through all the villages healing everyone and preaching.
- Was Jesus rejoicing? Jesus saw the crowds that gathered as harassed and helpless, and he had compassion
- They were leaderless, like sheep without a shepherd
- Leadership matters at every level
- not good enough just to have great senior leaders
- the church advances on delegated leadership
- Your leadership responsibility matters
- He was seduced by his own success.
- I grew up in a home with an atheist dad and agnostic mumno faith in the house at all
- No legacy of any Christianity whatever
- As a little 5 yr old boy I felt his presence. It was the same up in my room earlier today
- I never felt the presence of God again for 18 years
- My only rule was Thou shall not deny thyself
- Switched to becoming a Hare Krishna
- Once again felt his presence and his holiness was terrifying, in a Hindu temple
- Surrendered to him and stopped running
- Immediately I felt the same presence as a little boy.
- From then on the pursuit of my life has been the presence of God
- Being sure of who God has made us as people enables us to more forward
- If as the pace picks up we are not firmly clear on whom we are then we will become unstuck
- This morning I am going to remind us of whom we are
- This will mean that when the spotlight is on us we will be able to respond with boldness
Five points from Acts 13:1-4
- Church history tells us that at its height 1/3 of the people of Antioch were Christians
- We together are to be a People of the Spirit
- You only find prophets where the Spirit of God has been poured out
- Examples of people who are saved because they recognize Gods supernatural presence in our churches
- There is a flow in the topics between these three seminars
- It is essential that people in our churches are filled with the Spirit
- Sometimes people come because they like the worship
- The heart of what we are in churches is a gathering of individual people who are baptized in the Holy Spirit
- This is the doorway that opens the gifts of the Spirit
- What is the function of the HS as we gather?
- Where do we get our ideas from? As much as possible the Holy Scriptures
- John 4:21 a huge difference between the Old and New Covenants
- This is a radical new way of worshipping
- Our meetings have to be Spirit led and so there is spontaneity
- There is not a rigid structure for worship. We have moved from form to the unknown
- 1 Cor 14:26 whenever you come together, each one has a...
- 1 Cor 12 lists gifts of the Holy Spirit (I am concerned when there are no gifts being manifested)
- The HS has a massive role in our lives. We cant do anything of any value without him
- God has said, the earth will be filled by the glory of God as the waters cover the sea
- What was the apostles strategy?
- He established a base church in Gods timing
- He said to the church at Thessalonica that the testimony had gone out from them
- Previously he had been prevented by the Holy Spirit from doing this!
- The timing must be prophetically led
- Paul left Aquilla and Pricilla there in faith
- He ensured that key values were established in the core group
- He noticed a serious deficiency in the disciples
- One of the weaknesses that occurs is a failure to establish core values in the base group.
- Consistent teaching of apostolic revelation
- Paul taught so powerfully in the Hall of Tyrannus that it was spread out throughout the province of Asia
- Apostolic foundations
- The Big Picture, from Genesis to Revelation, showing them how they play a part in it.
- This takes people away from a felt needs philosophy of the Christian life
- I have a problem with the teaching that God does nothing except in response to mens prayers. How did he great the universe
- Nevertheless he does respond to faith initiatives
- Jesus seems to be totally controlled by his fathers initiative
- Other times it looks like he is being directed by the faith impulses of mortal men (e.g. Jairus)
- Then the woman touched his garment and he focused on her
1. Be honest with God that you dont have the faith to heal those in wheelchairs
- The doesnt mean it is not the will of God.
- Jesus says, all things are possible to them that believe
- Often we need to learn how weak and needy we are before God will help us. It is not that we are strong and just need a little help, but we have no strength
2. By exercising the Spirit of Faith
- Story of a blind woman he prayed for. Not healed, but he did try!
- Peter sank, but at least he got out of the boat!
- He started exercising his faith, and later on his shadow was healing people
- Story of a blind baby who was healed a short time afterwards
- The book of Joshua is an account of God bringing his people into their inheritance.
- He takes them across the Jordan, into some big battles
- At the half way mark, chapter 13, the page is turned and there is a new phase
- For the first half there is a new leader and a real togetherness
- 10:29 then Joshua and all Israel with him moved on
- Same kind of language in v.31, v.34, v.36, v.38, v.43, 11:7, 12:7
- 13:1 begins the new phase when Joshua is well advanced in years
- Joshua is old and there are still large tracts of land to take
- He gives them a new plan: the land and the people are distributed
- They all receive their allotmenttheir area to conquer
- If Israel was to hold on to all the land that had been won during their together exploits, there needs to be a dividing up and putting things in place.
- This second phase of Joshua is pivotal to any ministry in the church
- Otherwise we run a risk of HQ ism, leading to frustration
- Presence of the Spirit is of massive importance
- The manifestation of his presence, not just singing good songs.
Acts 1:8 they would receive power when the Holy Spirit came.
- When we are helping people to enter into the Baptism of the Spirit, it is very important that they be theological comfortable with it.
- There is no point in praying for people who dont believe in it!
- Never just pray for them. Even if they are blessed at the time, they may experience a backlash of doubt afterwards.
- the more you are assured from Scripture, the better.
- When Jesus said You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you they had an O.T. background for understanding this.
- The Spirit coming upon people was not a strange thought for the Jewish mind.
- David, the 70 elders in the wilderness, Judges.
- Joel said there would be an end-time outpouring
- John the Baptist introduces him as the baptizer in the Spirit
- Jesus didnt immediately talk about this, but said that first he must have his baptism of fire.