Report of M04: P-J Smythe – Joshua part 2 - A New Phase in the Kingdom
- The book of Joshua is an account of God bringing his people into their inheritance.
- He takes them across the Jordan, into some big battles
- At the half way mark, chapter 13, the page is turned and there is a new phase
- For the first half there is a new leader and a real togetherness
- 10:29 then Joshua and all Israel with him moved on
- Same kind of language in v.31, v.34, v.36, v.38, v.43, 11:7, 12:7
- 13:1 begins the new phase when Joshua is well advanced in years
- Joshua is old and there are still large tracts of land to take
- He gives them a new plan: the land and the people are distributed
- They all receive their allotmenttheir area to conquer
- If Israel was to hold on to all the land that had been won during their together exploits, there needs to be a dividing up and putting things in place.
- This second phase of Joshua is pivotal to any ministry in the church
- Otherwise we run a risk of HQ ism, leading to frustration
- but if we move into the second era looking for self-fulfillment, then it can breed unhealthy individualism.
Taking some Tips from the Tribes
13:40 the Levites get something a bit different
- Their role was not as visible as the other roles and territories given
- Some people have a very well defined and pinned down role in the church
- A Levite-type ministry is one that is not so visiblemaybe a prayer or prophetic ministry
- The inheritance is from God
- Another ministry is one of friendship
- The role of Levites in a church is critical. There is a role in not having a role
- NOW GIVE ME MY MOUNTAIN!!
- He had postponed what was rightfully his for 40 years
- He was not an individualist, he was a team player
- This has special relevance to older men and older women
- If you dont go after your mountain, then we will be weaker
- Go and get your mountain
- Asked the father for a special favour
- Do not hide behind your man or another leader
- Go to God direct he has things for you!
- We need to have the Achsah spirit and go for special favours
- Dont just be grateful for what you have got, but keep asking God for more special favours
- More giftings, more blessing in ministry and growth
- Be cheeky. We have a God who loves to bless his daughter
- Simon Petit used to pray, Lord, you say we do not have because we do not ask. Well here we are Lord!
- Tomorrow when we pray together we are going to be cheeky
- This is a bit soberingthey could not dislodge the Jebusites
- In Judges 3 there were people who didnt have battle experience and needed it
- Every generation needs to have battle experience
- I need more of an inheritance because I am larger
- Joshua tells them that since they are so big, they are welcome to clear more land for themselves
- They complain that even this is not enough, because the Canaanites have iron chariots
- Joshua encourages them to go for everything
- Emerging leaders can learn from this
- We can depend on othersI need a budget and leaders
- We cant ask other people to clear our land for us but sometimes need to depend on God for ourselves
- Joshua leaders can learn from this
- Resist doing it too much for them. Let them do it, it will allow their gift to make way for them
- But DO prophesy life and faith into them as Joshua did
- But beware that you are not just rostering promotion. You must keep looking for the gifting of God
- The second part of Joshua is about maturing each part of the body into its own area
- The keyboard player uses his hands, not his feet. Every part has its own unique role to play
- It would be ridiculous for the foot to start moaning and complaining!
- Every tribe has its own role.
19:9 Simeon and Judah
- Judah got more than they needed, so some of it was given to Simeon
- Our territory might overlap with anothers or be within anothers
- Some of us are number 2 type leaders.
- Part of this thrilling new season is learning to drink from the other guy
- Cretes inheritance came from Paul via Titus. Let us be content with the Tituses (or Titii?)
22:10-34 Ruben, Gad and Manasseh
- Two and a half tribes got an inheritance the other side of the Jordan
- It looked like maybe a spirit of rebellion? But it was actually the opposite
- But actually it was the opposite. It was a witness to their unity in the Lord
- On being entrusted with your own territory, take such rapid and excellent initiative that you even risk being thought of as a rebel.
- If we are to fulfill our inheritance, then leaders at every level need to rise up
- Terry said part of me says we cant go much further without you all being all who you should be in God
- We need to have checks and balances, so it is not really rebellion
- These leaders made sure that the next generation knew who they were in the larger body
- There are increasing Jordans that could confuse the next generation
- Age diversity, cultural diversity, stylistic diversity, geography.
- We need to be mindful of these Jordans
- We have altars of togetherness
- Relationship, promises made to each other, meetings together
- A magazine comes out that says Lets get into healings then this is an alter of togethernesswho we are together in the Lord
- There are some balls we can only get over the line if we are rucking together
- God is going to give us breakthrough in signs and wonders as we gather for this
- He loves to say yes to his people
The Pleasure of God in this model
- God loves this 12 in 1 and one in 12
- It is the model of the Trinity
- May God bless us as a family of churches as we enjoy this amazing togetherness