- I felt very drawn to this passage as I was preparing.
- We have a sense that God is turning a new page for us
- He is using many ways of communicating this to us, some of them quite unusual
- God loves our new initiatives, but when he does something new, it is altogether different.
- We will look at some principles from Joshua 1
2. It requires fresh faith
- Joshua is going to have to start this new era by doing a miracle
- Our God is fundamentally a supernatural God. If we are going to work with him we have to be part of this
- God says Behold I have given you Jericho but they have not taken the city yet!
- Our training programs often focus on providing information, but it is more important to provide a call to faith
- We are called to faith exploits. God wants us to get to know him and to put on show how trustworthy he is.
- Cross the Jordan! Come on a journey of faith! Challenge your people to faith so they have stories of what God has done!
- (At this point he told some stories of people in his church.)
3. The Special People God is talking about
- Go and take this people not any old peoplethe church is Gods special people
- There are no people like this on earth
- They cannot be cursed! Balaam tried to curse Gods people but ended up saying all kinds of wonderful things about them.
- This is The people who are called by your name
- We are not just having a go at church, beloved, these are Gods own dear people
4. Gods assessment of the opposition
- No-one will be able to stand before you
- That implies that they will try!
- While they looked to God, Israel were never, ever defeated
- On the other hand when they looked to other places, like Egypt, for strength, they always failed
- Hebrews tells us By faith the walls of Jericho fell down what amazing words!
- We will meet all kinds of opposition, but by faith the walls will fall down
5. Gods way of victory
- Gods own presence: I will be with you!
- We are looking all the time for the manifestation of his presence
- Every day I seek to have an engagement with the Spirit and an enjoyment of the presence of Jesus
- Paul says to the Ephesian church, Be filled with the Spirit
- Be filled up with God! Out of that begin to learn what Jesus meant when he said Greater things shall you do
- Personally I am committed to this. I have taken a step into the Jordan and am seeing more and more of the supernatural, and pressing more and more into our inheritance
- It comes out of his presence. God himself bearing witness with signs and wonders
6. God-given moraleBe strong!
- Being strong is part of the provision, part of what he does for us.
- When David is fighting Goliath, he seems almost arrogant in his confidence, This day I will take your head off. Who does he think he is? the servant of the most high God! Motivated by Gods name!
- Its a New Day. Do you believe it? Lets go for it!
- God has promised us good, so let us go for it with all our might.
After Terry had finished, Kate Simmons came to the microphone and with a shaky voice told us that she had planned to end with a rousing hymn about the church, but there was just such a presence of God that she had changed it and we sang Consuming Fire, ending the evening with an amazing time of worship. Terry closed by praying come Holy Spirit!